|An original Via Napoli pizza – half Carciofi and half Quattro Formaggi|
One of my family’s favorite dining spots at Walt Disney World is Via Napoli, found in Epcot’s Italy pavilion. From the decor, to the scrumptious desserts, to (most importantly!) the wood-fired pizza, it never fails to amaze. In fact, my favorite pizza of all time can be found here. It’s the Carciofi, which translated from Italian literally means “artichokes.” Described on the menu as “white pizza, artichoke, fontina, mozzarella, truffle oil”, it’s beauty is in its simple, earthy flavors. I was sure I could recreate this at home, even without a wood-burning oven! Not only did I recreate it, but one smell of the piping hot pizza transported me right back to Via Napoli. Bon appetit!
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded fontina cheese
7 oz. canned plain artichokes (not marinated), drained, rinsed, and cut into quarters (if not already)
2 T. white truffle oil
Flour, for rolling out dough
*My local grocery store has these available in bags for around $1 and I’ve also seen them at both Trader Joe’s and Whole Foods. If you can’t find fresh dough for this recipe, canned pizza crust can be substituted, though the results aren’t as authentic (but still yummy). In this case, just skip #1 below.
1. Lightly oil a plate, place dough on plate, and let sit out for at least an hour.
2. Place dough on floured surface and roll to 13″ diameter.
3. Preheat grill to 425 degrees.
4. Place dough on preheated grill and cook for 2-3 minutes, until browned and grill marks appear, then turn over. If the pizza crust puffs up or large bubbles appear, don’t worry – just pop them!
5. Drizzle olive oil on browned crust, add artichokes and cheese, then close grill lid. Cook 2-3 minutes more, just until cheese is melted.
6. Remove from grill and place on pizza peel or cookie sheet.
7. Drizzle with white truffle oil and serve.