We LOVE the Caribbean Beach Resort at Walt Disney World! Of all the moderate resorts it is our absolute FAVORITE! I have read such mixed reviews about this charming resort so I decided to share my top ten reasons the CBR is the BEST!
10. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION: okay so it’s not on the monorail but this resort is right in the middle of all the action. Centrally located, it is a quick ride to all four parks. In all of our visits we have never had to wait or travel by bus for more than 1o- 15 minutes! Magic Kingdom, the farthest was only about 15 minutes away! That’s quicker than a fast pass line some days.
9. ROCKING TUNES: yes, the music. The Caribbean vibe is alive at this resort with steel drum band tunes piped in throughout the resort! I was even able to buy a cd which comes in handy to listen to during the long New England winters.
8. CHECK IN: okay the one flaw is that they resort has a separate check in area at the Custom House. Then you will have to take an internal bus or walk to your room. But… upon check in your family will receive swords and eye patches! ARGG! What other resort gives your “I just got off the plane, tram, and bus for five hours” kids weapons and reduced vision? My boys LOVE this!
7. A Rainbow of Colors: This resort is made up of 6 small villages named after Caribbean islands, Aruba, Jamaica, Trinidad North, Trinidad South, Barbados, and Martinique. Each one has a different color scheme! It is so pretty to glance along the Barefoot Bay and see all the beautiful colors displayed. We personally like Martinique followed by Trinidad North not just because of the colors but because we love to eat. These villages are very close to Old Port Royale.
6. Old Port Royale: We love the food court and the variety that is offered. Our favorite is that the kids meals come in green buckets with shovels which is perfect because this resort has sandy beaches, hammocks, and if you look closely enough giant sculptured sea turtles in the sand perfect for pictures and climbing! There is also a full service restaurant on site Shutters at Old Port Royale. Note: in the food court, get the turkey club with aioli sauce and don’t forget the homemade jerk chips, they are so scrumptious!
A photo from our scrapbook!
Sandy beaches and hammocks
5. Room Decor: This resort is almost done completing major room renovations to accommodate families of five. There will be queen size beds as well as a pull out bed to accommodate a fifth person (just like some of the rooms at Port Orleans Riverside). I hope they don’t get rid of the charming NEMO decor! Trinidad South offers Pirate rooms for an additional price. I do have two buccaneers but knowing this resort well, I opted out as they are the furthest rooms from the food court!
4. The POOL! This pool rocks! It is a zero entry pool modeled after an old pirate fort. It has two cannons and two slides (one being 82 feet) and many nooks and crannies. There is a gated kiddie pool next door with a life size pirate ship that has slides, ramps and climbing structures. It also dumps water every few minutes. There are also quiet pools in all of the villages. The best thing about the zero entry pool is while your little ones swim, you can sit right in the water with a drink from the Banana Cabana at hand!
A cloudy day at the pool – go online as this picture does not do it justice!
kiddie pool area
3. The Banana Cabana: some days this makes it to number one of our list! We go every summer and after a long hot day in the parks let me tell you this place hits the spot! I recommend the signature drink, the Banana Cabana followed by the Island Moon-shine!
2. Hidden Gem: there is a picnic area by the pool where they show movies at night under the stars. There are three picnic tables in a corner (it may be a designated smoking area but I haven’t ever seen anyone smoking there. If you grab snacks, drinks, blankets, you can actually see and slightly hear Illuminations from Epcot Center. Grab those sleepy kids and head to that spot! Guess what? No lines trying to leave when it is over (and it’s right behind the Banana Cabana).
1. The Caribbean theming is just perfect! Grab a real coconut postcard to mail home at the Calypso Straw Market and Trading Post! Get your hair braided poolside! Send your buccaneers on a PIRATE ADVENTURE while sipping a Rum Swizzle by a palm tree. Listen to the exotic sounds of the steel drum band!
The Caribbean Beach Resort – this place is the real deal!