And the saga continues in the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the return of that hammer- wielding god of thunder and lightning, and storms and the protection of all mankind, Thor makes his return in the Thor Ragnarok hitting theaters November 3.
Marvel’s Kevin Feige has promised that Thor: Ragnarok is “a very important movie for us in Marvel Phase 3…we plan on taking Thor to another level. In this installment we find our beloved Thor imprisoned on the other side of the universe without his mighty hammer and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok—the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization—at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela.
But first he must survive a deadly gladiatorial contest that pits him against his former ally and fellow Avenger—the Incredible Hulk! Thor: Ragnarok is directed by Taika Waititi and returns Chris Hemsworth starring as Thor and Tom Hiddleston reprising his role as Loki. They are joined by Cate Blanchett, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson and Karl Urban, with Mark Ruffalo and Anthony Hopkins.
And now here’s the brand new trailer for Thor: Ragnarok:
Now whether you’re new to the Marvel Cinematic Universe or just in need of a quick refresher course on who is who in this latest addition to the continuing saga of Thor, here’s a little cheatsheet to help you keep track of who is who:
- Chris Hemsworth as Thor:
The crown prince of Asgard, based on the Norse mythological deity of the same name. As this is the fifth time portraying the character, Hemsworth said, “for me personally I got a bit bored of myself and thought we’ve got to try something different.” He spoke with director Taika Waititi and producer Kevin Feige, who all agreed a third Thor film would need “to really push the envelope and experiment and take it to another level;” this resulted in the character having shorter hair, a different outfit, his hammer Mjolnir being broken, and a new setting. Hemsworth also stated that following the events of Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ragnarok finds Thor exploring and policing the universe while enjoying being a “drifter”.
- Tom Hiddleston as Loki: Thor’s adoptive brother and nemesis based on the deity of the same name.On playing the character again, Hiddleston said he was interested in how Loki’s attitude has changed, adding “I’m four years older… and there will just be new things that I will find in it. The most exciting thing about Loki is that he is always a trickster. It is trying to find new ways for him to be mischievous”.
- Cate Blanchett as Hela: The ruler of Hel and Niflheim, based on the deity Hel, who has been inadvertently released from her prison. About the character, Blanchett said, “She’s been locked away for millennia getting more and more cross, and then, with a mistake, she gets unleashed and she ain’t getting back in that box.”
- Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster:
One of the Elders of the Universe fascinated with gaming and chance who rules the planet Sakaar,and enjoys manipulating lesser life-forms. Goldblum described the character as “a hedonist, a pleasure-seeker, an enjoyer of life and tastes and smells.” He also said that Waititi encouraged improvisation in order for Goldblum to “make the character his own”. And for me, this is pure Jeff Goldblum at its very best.
- Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie:
A tough, hard-drinking Asgardian warrior, based on the mythological being Brynhildr, who has formed a business relationship with Grandmaster while hiding out on Sakaar. About Valkyrie’s inclusion in the film, Feige said, “Thor’s]relationship with Jane may have evolved in unexpected ways in between The Dark World and Ragnarok and we wanted to pit him against a character who was much more his equal and in many ways his superior.”
- Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner / Hulk:
A genius scientist who, because of exposure to gamma radiation, transforms into a monster when enraged or agitated and becomes a successful and popular gladiator on Sakaar.
- Anthony Hopkins as Odin: The king of Asgard, father of Thor, and adoptive father of Loki, based on the deity of the same name.
Additionally, Benedict Cumberbatch reprises his role as Stephen Strange from the film Doctor Strange.
And there you have. The countdown is on to a movie sent from the heavens. Thor:Ragnarok descends upon theaters November 3!
Stay up on all of the latest from Thor:Ragnarok :
Like THOR: RAGNAROK on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Thor/
Follow THOR: RAGNAROK on Twitter: https://twitter.com/thorofficial
Follow Marvel on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/marvelstudios/
THOR: RAGNAROK opens in theaters everywhere November 3rd!